Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Book Review: The Sex Lives of Cannibals

In The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific by J. Maarten Troost, Maarten spends a couple years with his girlfriend living in the little-known country of Kiribati on the also little-known island of Tarawa. His tales of adventure and, more frequently, misadventure are entertaining and frankly somewhat hard to believe as a first-world dweller. Had I not been to Africa a couple of times, I think I definitely would have been questioning some of the stories. I definitely enjoyed the stories of travels - and the book has definitely itched my travel bug (probably partially combined with summertime as well). The book left me dreaming of travels, adventures, and blue seas with sandy beaches. The ending was also hilarious, as the couple tries to blend back into their American lives, taking a bit of time to adjust.

No comments: