Thursday, June 18, 2009

Speakin' Kiwi

Sooo... I got this AWESOME package in the mail, complete with Kiwi phrase magnets. The only problem was, I didn't know what half of them meant. With a little help from my Kiwi translator, you can now expect to hear all of these worked into my every-day American conversations:

sweet as - cool
choice - cool like, that's choice = that's cool
jandals - flip flops aka 'japanese sandals'
hokey pokey - the stuff inside of a cadbury crunchy... it's used in icecream and candy bars etc
kumara - type of potato thing that grows in NZ
kai - maori word for food
carked it - effed it up
l&p - type of soda in NZ
pack a sad - it's like when you are disappointed by something... like, i really wanted to go skiing this weekend but the mountain was closed so i packed a sad and went home
piker - someone who bails on plans
scull - chug (as in beer)
tiki tour - driving around aimlessly on a nice day
suss - figure something out = to suss it out
gum-boots - rain boots / wellingtons
chilly bin - cooler or the refrigerator
togs - swimsuit

There are a few more still coming, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

The Boring Runner said...

those are a riot! How come wonky isn't in one of them? I just assumed that they use that term everywhere but the US. :)

Bethany said...

i already say choice! I like suss, pack a sad, and carked it! I will try to start adding those into my everyday vocabulary too! who knows maybe we will start a fad together tera ;)