Monday, January 19, 2009

Book Review: Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior

Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior by Ori Brafman and Rom Brafman is about what psychological forces frequently cause people to make bad decisions. Turns out, our decisions are often unduly shaped by commitments and expectations. It makes sense when you think about it - frequently we get so wrapped up in a situation, that it's hard to take a step back and think about it completely logically. Among many examples used in the book (a deadly plane crash, a new coaching strategy for the Florida Gators, and a lot more - I mean, enough to fill a book!) they also talk about decisions we make while driving in traffic, like quickly swerving around a slow car we can't see around it and it really wouldn't hurt us at all to wait a few extra seconds.

Based on the findings of this book, I've decided that I'm going to act and think young, think that everyone I meet is really attractive, and drive dangerously. Apparently, 'feeling' old actually makes you age faster, and thinking that someone is attractive would causes you to unknowingly send signals that would make them like you too. There was also a story about men walking over a bridge and then meeting a woman at the end of it and she gives her phone number to them. The ones that went over a shaky bridge were extremely more likely to call her than the ones who went on the steady bridge because the anxiety and adrenaline caused by the scary bridge were much like the feelings of falling in love. So, if I want a guy to like me, maybe I need to almost get us killed in a car wreck? Sounds like a fine plan to me. So ta-da! The magic formula for being young forever, making friends, and finding true love. I'm so glad I have that all figured out.

The book talks a lot about taking a step back and looking at situations from a long-term perspective. I think this is especially applicable in our current economy. I know it sucks, but these things are cyclical! You can't worry too much about your 401k or stock accounts dive bombing because they're going to go on many-a roller coaster ride before we retire (this sentence obviously aimed at those in my age demographic). You have to stay focused on what is best for your long-term goals. Similarly, if you're committed to a project, situation, or way of doing things, sometimes it seems like you're in too deep to turn the ship around. However, if you take a perspective of an outsider or devil's advocate, it frequently becomes a lot easier to see the best path forward.

These are just a few things that I found pretty interesting - the book is full of findings from studies basically about what makes people tick. The book is a quick read and interesting, so if you see it at the store or library, I'd recommend picking it up and giving it a flip-through!

2 comments:

The Boring Runner said...

This book DOES sound interesting. I always like books that try to explain why we do the things we do. I'd say that your strategy of driving crazy is a great plan. Guys like to be the hero, so when you get into an accident, you'd give them that opportunity!

Bethany said...

OMG - I totally read this book AT barnes in noble last weekend!!! seriously!!! I was at B&N trying to find interesting books that i could pair with my textbook for my class and i was talking to the sales girl and she said she read this and there was a section about hiring.... so i went and read that chapter...and couldn't put the book down - its great!! (maybe bc i am a psyc major) but I think everyone will like it!!